Slider 1

Friday, October 12, 2018

The Importance of Gender and Women’s Studies


                    First of all, I am going to share my experience. Last semester, I was taking a speaking class in another school. One day, I had a speech about “legalizing prostitution in the U.S.” which I chose myself. Before the class, I asked my teacher to fix my notes for the speech. Then, she asked me “Why did you choose such a controversial topic?” I knew this was a tough topic, but I had been learning about gender studies and women’s studies. Also, I wanted to take classes about it at Chico State. Then she said, “why are you studying them? They are useless because you cannot make money by those knowledges.” At that moment, I literally got mad and I tried to counter with her but I couldn’t do that. I couldn’t only because she was my teacher. She was a person who would grade my speech and my whole semester.

                   There are two critical points in this story. The first is her role as a teacher in the school. She might say it is just her opinion, however, she was a teacher who educates students. She should not try to diminish the student’s curiosity. Even if she strongly believes gender and women’s studies are not useful, she is not supposed to say such a ridiculous thing to a student because we cannot even counter with her because of her privilege…

The second is she slighted gender and women’s studies. IAC Publishing states that “Gender studies allows people in different social environments to solve gender-related conflicts by providing a common understanding regarding gender identity and relationships.” Also, Hilary Watchler, who is working for a major women’s health organization in San Diego, proposed “When you major in Women’s Studies, you study politics, theory, literature, history, sociology, and psychology, all with a feminist perspective. You discover and ask questions that no one’s ever challenged you with before.” No doubt gender studies is not only for LGBTQ people and women’s studies is not only for women. Their goals have not been attained yet. Furthermore, there shouldn’t be a hierarchy among the disciplines because the connection with the future job is just one of the reasons to study. When people more deeply understand the importance of these two studies, and more students take these classes, their social issues are more easily settled.

                                                                                                    

References

“What Is the Importance of Gender Studies?” by IAC Publishing

“5 Reasons Why You Should Major Women’s Studies” by Hilary Watchler





By Minori Sakurai

No comments:

Post a Comment